Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Electrifying Blizzards!

The pleasant weather has gone on-hold again, with today bringing 40 knot winds and heavy snow. Heading out, I battled down the steps with the wind trying to pull my legs from under me and static electricity from the handrail zapping my arms. Once on the ground, visibility was about 5metres with the snow blasting through my headtorch beam looking like the Falcon entering Hyperspace.

Gripping the handline tightly (but avoiding the metal poles!), I walked hunched over to the Simpson to face another blast of static when going up the stairs. It was a relief to get back inside and find everything still working!


A blizzard on the weather screen

*The fast movement of snow particles in the dry atmosphere causes both people and buildings to become electro-statically charged, like clouds in a thunders storm. As we and the buildings are at different potentials, when we meet the sparks fly!

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Last week we had -19.5 and 60knot gusts. I thought you "hard core" antarctic people had temperatures of -50, or is that just a rumour? Life at the holiday camp continues to be good, yesterday I went for a lunchtime walk on the beach.

1:18 pm GMT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Anything above -30 is warm. We go out in our pants and jump about mocking the God of Snow (we call her Susan).

If our weather and your weather (if you can even call it that) had a fight, then we'd win in the first round.

2:34 pm GMT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, but when we lost, we'd go off snowboarding down a hill.

3:19 pm GMT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Git

4:21 pm GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey deano, i have just received my first fan-mail! woohoo! i wonder if she'll be waiting for me when i get out of here, whence she will comfort me and whisper sweet nothings in my ear in a welsh accent? don't know why i'm telling you this, mind...

relevant comments? nah, i don't have any...

3:44 pm GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home